This is a classic, cozy, plant-based soup made with warm, grounding ingredients. Soup is a food that is meant to be eaten slowly and savored. The white vegetables and spices contain cleansing antioxidants, and the butternut squash in this soup contains an abundance of vitamins A and C – amazing antioxidants for your skin and immune system. Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger, or ginger powder
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (1 box container)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (garnish)
- Fresh ground sea salt and pepper
In a large soup pot, sauté the onion in the olive oil over medium-low heat for five minutes.
Add garlic, ginger, spices, sea salt and pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the squash and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Stir in the vegetable broth, bring the soup to a boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes or until the squash is tender and can be pierced easily with a fork.
Turn the heat off the soup and purée with an immersion blender. If you do not have an immersion blender you can let the soup cool a bit and blend it in small batches in a blender, then return it to the stove to heat.
Serve garnished with the pumpkin seeds.