Imagine the best of Autumn’s produce tossed altogether in a giant bowl with the addition of maple pecans and dressed in a beautiful apple cider vinaigrette. This all-star salad proves that salads just aren’t for summer and makes the perfect side dish for your nourishing
- 1 bunch kale, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 1/2 small red cabbage, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 apples, sliced into matchsticks (2 cups)
- 1 small pomegranate
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Start by preheating the oven to 375°F (180°C) and line baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar, juice of half the lemon, mustard, olive oil and honey, then mix together. Add the shredded kale and shredded red cabbage to the bowl then toss until evenly coated with dressing and set aside.
- Next grab a small bowl and add juice from the other half of the lemon along with 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar. Add the sliced apples to the bowl and stir until evenly coated then set aside. This step will help to keep the apples from oxidizing (or turning brown).
- In a separate small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon coconut oil, 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the pecans to the bowl and stir until evenly coated. Spread the pecans onto the baking tray and then bake in the oven for about 10 minutes. If your oven is on the hotter side, you might want to check them around 7 or 8 minutes to assure that they don’t burn.
Add the apples and the pomegranate arils to the large bowl with the shredded kale and cabbage. Once the pecans are done cooking, add them to the bowl. Stir everything together and serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.